Ilonggo Apan-Apan or Stir Fry Water Spinach

Ilonggo Apan-Apan or Stir Fry Rau Muong

Apan-apan is an Ilonggo side dish and one of my favorite since I was a kid. This is similar to Tagalog adobong kangkong. My nanay always cook this for me and I love it. This is how my nanay taught me but we don’t measure our ingredients. We just estimate everything. Since I started making my blog, I started measuring all my ingredients for consistent output and easy to follow.

Ilonggo Apan-Apan or Stir Fry Water Spinach
Author: Neliza Ly

Ingredients:
  • 1 bundle Kangkong/ong choy/water spinach
  • 1 tbsp. oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 shallot
  • 3 tbsp. shrimp paste
  • ½ cup rice vinegar (the smell and taste is similar with tuba langgaw or coconut wine vinegar)
  • 1 tbsp. white sugar
Instructions:
    • Cut stems/stalk at least 3 inches long. Wash and set aside.

    • Heat and boil water in a large pan. Add water spinach and blanch for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Mix for even blanching. Drain the water spinach and set aside.

    • Add vegetable oil in a pan and sauté garlic and shallot for 2 minutes.
    • Mix shrimp paste, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and add into a pan.

    • Add water water spinach and toss for even coating.
    • Once coated with the sauce, transfer into a plate and serve with steamed rice and other dishes. 
     

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Airfryer Filipino Style Tortang Talong or Eggplant Omelet

    Air Fryer Rolled Flounder stuffed with mushroom and lemon

    Air fry Filipino Pandesal