Instant Pot Ilonggo Ginat-an or Linugaw or Taro Tapioca Coconut Dessert


Instant Pot Ilonggo Ginat-an or Taro Tapioca Coconut Dessert

Instant Pot Ilonggo Ginat-an (Taro & Tapioca Coconut Dessert)

Ginat-an is a popular afternoon snack in Iloilo and Guimaras Province. It is a warm, comforting sweet soup made with sliced saba bananas, taro (dag-may), sweet potato, ube, coconut milk, colorful sago pearls, and glutinous rice.

Growing up, I loved eating taro (dag-may). My grandma had plenty of taro plants near her rice mill, and I remember how she would harvest the taro roots, leaves, and stalks to make various delicious dishes.

Note: I omitted sweet potatoes from this Instant Pot version because they tend to get too mushy when pressure cooked.


Instant Pot: https://amzn.to/2tMcCk4 , https://amzn.to/2tXcZaQ
Instant Pot Ilonggo Ginat-an or Taro Tapioca Coconut Dessert
Author: Neliza Ly



  • Ingredients

    • 3 pcs (approx. 730g) baby taro, peeled and diced

    • 2 plantain or saba bananas, sliced

    • 2 cans (13.5 oz each) coconut milk

    • ½ cup water

    • 1 cup rainbow tapioca pearls (sago/boba)

    • ½ cup white sugar

    • 8 oz frozen shredded young coconut (kinayod na buko)

    • 2 pandan leaves (screwpine), tied in a knot for flavoring (optional)


    Instructions

    1. Prep the Tapioca: Soak the tapioca pearls in tap water for at least 10 minutes, then drain.

    2. Prep the Taro: Cut the taro into small bite-sized pieces and submerge them in water to prevent darkening.

    3. Prep the Bananas: Slice the bananas into small pieces.

    4. Combine: Place all ingredients into the Instant Pot inner liner and stir well to combine.

    5. Pressure Cook: Secure the lid. Select Manual / Pressure Cook on High for 1 minute.

    6. Natural Release: Allow a 20-minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR).

    7. Serve: Carefully release any remaining pressure and open the lid. Stir well, serve warm, and enjoy!


  •    

Comments

  1. Hello. What do you mean by pressure cook for one minute then 20 minute NPR? Specifically the NPR part. I have a 10-in-1 instant pot and I would be extremely happy if I can cook tapioca pearls in my instant pot as opposed to the grueling task of cooking it the traditional way. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy at work. It means, you press the button on your instant pot on manual mode, cook for 1 minute. After 1 minute is done, it will switch to warm mode and will count down from 1. Once it reach 20 minutes, release the remaining pressure if there is still left. Open the lid, mix and eat. For the tapioca pearl, I only use E-FA Brand boba pearl and that brand never fails me. I tried a cheaper brand of tapioca pearl last time, it disintegrate. I hope this helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Airfryer Filipino Style Tortang Talong or Eggplant Omelet

Instant Pot and Air fryer Roasted Pork Belly, Lechon Kawali or Thit Heo Quay

Air Fryer Vietnamese Honeycomb Cake – Banh Bo Nuong